Montag, 2. Mai 2016

Lenovo G70-70 second hdd

After disassembling my current laptop (a Lenovo G70-70) for cleaning, I considered to increase the storage capacity to at least the double. One possible way would be to replace the current HDD with a larger one. But I thought about using the space left inside and physically adding a second HDD. Because my model has a plastic cover instead of the optical drive a HDD caddy would be a great option. So with that in mind I removed the cover and locking screw to take a closer look inside. One important thing on adding a caddy to your laptop is to make sure there are the matching connectors fitted. Unfortunately in my case Lenovo hasn't fitted these. I took a quick look to the block diagram and found a second sata connector (SATA ODD) drawn. So I've done some research on the web and found the maintenance manual by Lenovo. On page 84 arrow 5 you can see the missing part on my version. It seems to be just a adapter board with a flat flex jumping over to the mainboard. So at least a flat flex connector should be visible on the mainboard. And after taking a really close look inside the slot I was able to see a connector. I also counted the number of pins (10) to compare to possible adapters later on. So all I need to add another HDD would be the missing odd board. After searching for hours for a suitable reseller I almost gave up. Most of the resellers (I found about 5) had really high price points for something that simple. Then I stumbled over an odd board for a Lenovo G50 on aliexpress. After checking the pincount, mounting holes and overall design I ordered the part.





Last week (20 days later) the part arrived in the mail. It was nicely packed in some bubble wrap and in good shape. So later today I disassembled my laptop in order to add the PCB. I really was confused by the amount of parts that I needed to remove just to reach the mainboard section. I removed keyboard, cooling fan and the entire keyboard bezel to get access. But the steps are pretty easy to do if you follow the maintenance manual I linked in above.
So I test fitted the odd adapter PCB and thankfully it did fit perfectly! BUT the flatflex cable was way too short... 




Thinking about possible issues why, I should have looked the G50 up. The G50 is way smaller (15,6" instead of 17.3") than my model. Thankfully the cable has standard 1mm pitch so I can easily replace that.

Yesterday I soldered a new flatflex cable out of an old cd-rom drive onto the odd board. After disassambling the laptop again I screwed the board into it's place and reassambled everything back together. Now I have to order a matching hdd caddy before I can say anything about the functionality, but the part does fit perfectly inside.



To be continued...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen