Mittwoch, 20. Mai 2020

Epson WF-2760 Error 0x9A fix and others

Today I repaired an Epson Wf-2760 and thought, since it took me a long time to find information myself, I would like to show you my solution here.
Unfortunately, the whole thing is not really documented in pictures, because I did not expect to have to repair anything at all. But as always with things I buy: There is something to repair...

Since we needed a new fax machine and the prices for these simple devices went extremely high (since the sales figures have probably fallen considerably) I looked around for alternatives. Since I myself use an Epson WF-2630 all in one as my copier (besides the Ricoh color laser of course which you can find more information about here ;-) ), I started looking for cheap used machines for these series. I came up with a bundle of 3 printers (two WF-2760 and one WF-2630) for free to pickup nearby. They where listed as "not printing condition". So I contacted the Seller and picked them up, thinking that I only need the fax function to work (digital fax reception only so no printouts needed). After an hour and a half of driving and traffic jam I had the printers at my home and got a fright, because the devices already lost the first screws when opening. But for free still justifiable. So I reassembled all loose parts and wanted to plug in the first printer. I had to find out that the printer already had no power supply. So further to the next... This one could actually be switched on, but then it threw an unrecoverable error. The error message called the error code 0x9A which you 'should' find in the documentation. I thought it would be great if you could read the codes directly from the manual. Full of anticipation for a quick troubleshooting I went to search for the code and had to find out that Epson itself did not list the error codes.
After a long search I had to find annoyed users in forums that have the same problem after a paper jam. But most often you can find that there is an error with the print head. The previous owner had already disassembled it and then obviously did not successfully break it off and gave it away in parts. So I thought to myself okay shit, all the driving for nothing. A new print head would not be worth the price and I would not even be sure that it is really the fault and not more things are defective. Shortly before I wanted to give up after hours of cleaning contacts, plugs and flat ribbon cables I found this forum entry which showed a debug software where the error 0x9a was also listed as a circuit error on the motherboard. So as a last resort, I ripped the motherboard out of the printer without power supply and took a close look at it. Then I looked for fuses and found the fuse F1.



The entire main board (pretty nicely made for the price!)





Faulty fuse before replacing it


After measuring this fuse it was clear to me I have the error! Since it was already late I postponed the further repair to the next afternoon. I bridged the fuse and assembled the printer so far that I could at least switch it on. I now got another fatal error but the print carriage moved very easily. So I realized that I probably fixed the error completely. So I started to build a complete printer with the remaining parts of the two WF-2760. This was successful after a lot of trial and error. If you want to do such a repair, take a look at this video, which will help you with the disassembly...

Full credits to the original maker of the video! It helped me a lot to find the matching screw holes for all the loose screws in my printer.




In the end I had a visually complete printer. So switch it on and see with a sharp eye what's going on. No smoke, no strange noises. Only a quiet noise of the print head while driving back and forth. And I had a main menu in front of me with all the functions that were important to me. I then checked the printer for function and everything works as it should. I would not recommend this repair to a beginner but people who can use a screwdriver, soldering iron and want to save a lot of money are sure to get what they want. After the repair I found the tool which was used in the screenshot in the forum. You can find it here. Very very useful if you want to maintain such a device or just want to know what a certain error code means. I hope I can help some people with this problem and I would appreciate feedback if you try it. I was not lucky enough to find this method on the net but I hope that my hours will be worth it for others.

Happy Stefan after first successful startup



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen